Friday, December 18, 2009

Friends & Blessings

Prepare yourselves ladies & gentlemen. This post may get a tad overly sentimental. I'm writing it on my very last night in Oviedo. I'm tired, experiencing every emotion imaginable, and I have internet. This could lead to a genius post, or an awkward mess. If that last option is the case, then I suggest you divert your eyes as soon as it gets unbearable.

There's one aspect of study abroad that no one prepares you for: friendship. When I was on the airplane nervously awaiting my arrival in this foreign land I was anticipating many things. I considered forging the language barrier, submerging myself in another culture, and dealing with a host mother. The thought never even crossed my mind that I would be making lifelong friendships in far off lands.

I met some of the most incredible people on this journey and the story of my experience would have been incomprehensibly different without them. Like every story, there are good characters and bad. I met some of the most incredible people, as well as some of the most intolerable. Despite my moments of frustration, I wouldn't have traded any of these personalities I encountered. Every person, every outing, every excursion, and every conversation shaped my adventure here and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Before arriving in Oviedo, I didn't realize I would be spending day in and day out with the people that surrounded me. Everything I faced, I faced with them. If it wasn't for these amazing people I wouldn't have experienced all that I did, learned as much as I did, laughed as much, or drank as much cafe con leche. These individuals made my study abroad experience, and I couldn't be more grateful for them.

"When I'm worried and I can't sleep
I count my blessing instead of sheep
And I fall asleep, counting my blessings"
-(cue cheesy, but still rockin', Christmas song)

That brings me to blessings. I have yet to mention God much in my blog, but truth be told He has blessed me with this entire journey. I've been blessed with an incredible program, a wonderful host mother, a surprisingly awesome university, amazing friends, and countless life lessons. My faith has grown tremendously in this country in inexplicable ways. I've also been shown how many things I have back home to be thankful for. Things back home I've learned to appreciate more than ever: My home that I grew up in, WOU, Monmouth and all of its contents (including all the superb people), my stupendously supportive family, as well as anyone who's reading this. Trust me, if you're reading this then I've learned to appreciate the crap out of you.

Before I get any sappier I better call it a night.
My itinerary for the travels home on 12/19:
5:30am head to the bus station with the madre and Samy the dog
6:00am bus leaves Oviedo for the airport
7:50am fly to Paris
10:30am fly to Seattle
9:14pm arrive in Oakland and reunite with the fam

2 comments:

  1. just parents. i'm still in thailand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KATE! I am so sad all our experiences are ending, but we are going to be reunited again and will have an incredible winter term! I am so glad I got the chance to meet some of your friends over there too! Travel safe!

    ReplyDelete