Friday, October 2, 2009

I'm in love...with FOOD.

This will be a short entry, but I've been enjoying the food/drinks so much here that I thought I'd dedicate a post to it.

I love food. I love food in general, but I especially love it here. That may have something to do with the fact that it's always served to me. My madre even spreads cheese on my bread for me- but I'll get to that cheese later.

Something that Spain is famous for is coffee. I had my first sip the other day and it was a little drop of heaven. I got it in the most peculiar way. It came out of a machine. It was like those machines in gas stations where you grab a cup and have options as to what to fill it up with, but different. With these machines you put your money in (55 euro cents), it drops down a very tiny cup, fills it with deliciousness (I prefer cafe con leche), drops in a little stir stick, and then you lift a small door and drink up. Did I mention that those are inside my university? Simply perfect.

Cafe con leche is the only drink I've tried, but I've been more adventurous with food. A delicious meal dish was rice with carrots, corn, something green, salted zucchini and a fried egg to the side. They eat eggs for lunch and dinner, not breakfast. For breakfast it's typical to have cereal/granola, yogurt, and fruit. Lunch is the main meal of the day and is eaten around 2 until 3 or so. One day for lunch we all had a starter of lentils, a main dish of a tortilla (but not a regular tortilla, it was a fatty potato tortilla topped with a sweet red pepper), and a sliced succulent melon for desert. Since lunch is so late, our host moms are asked to pack us a bocadillo (a small sandwich). Those are pretty standard, except today my madre put ham and cheese inside a roll that had chocolate chips in it. Everything here is laced with chocolate and most dishes have bread on the side, which is fantastic because those are quite possibly my two favorite consumables. Ok, moving on to the cheese. There is this cheese that my madre bought that looks like goat cheese or blue cheese. It was out on the table so I went to put in on my salad one night and my madre gave me an odd look and spread it on my bread for me. I normally don't like goat cheese so I was hesitant, but it was delicious! Cheese success.

So much for a short post. I guess consuming food is more of a passion of mine than I realized.

No comments:

Post a Comment