Sunday, October 18, 2009

Liar Liar Pants on Fire

My Spanish has yet to improve tremendously, so I've inadvertently become a liar. My host mom or teachers ask me questions in Spanish and I'm rarely entirely sure of what they're saying. I typically throw back the few Spanish words I know in a different order each time I'm asked a question. It's caused me to give false information about the number of siblings I have, where I'm planning on going, and whether or not I enjoy the food I'm consuming. This tid bit about lying is really random, but it was what motivated my title on this post.

On to more organized thoughts. This weekend AHA planned an excursion for the group. We went to Santillana and Covadonga. In Santillana we went to a historic torture museum. It was disgustingly cool. The worst ancient torture device I saw was an iron pyramid. It had a point at the top that went in one end of the hopefully deserving culprit and came out the other end. Even though it was intriguing, I wasn't able to each my lunch for several hours after that display. After Santillana we rolled out to Covadonga. The most noteworthy part of Covadonga was the alleged Marriage Water. At the base of a mountain, there is a fountain that has seven spouts. If you drink from each spout then marriage will come your way. Start saving your money for a wedding Mom & Dad, I drank the mystical water. Of course every girl in the group got on that asap. It was a grand old time.

Here's another random story, just because I can. My host mom is never home in the mornings so I'm routinely left to scrounge up my own breakfast. I usually have coffee, some fruit, and yogurt. One day last week I decided to branch out with my yogurt. Instead of going for the usual berry brand I grabbed an unknown kind of yogurt from the fridge. It looked harmless, but then I put a spoonful in my mouth and couldn't even choke it down. It tasted like rubber with a similar consistency. Even though I'm usually a trooper about eating food I dislike, I couldn't handle this one. I chucked it in a garbage can outside my apartment so the madre wouldn't see that I wasted food. A couple days later I was eating dinner while my host mom was feeding Samy, the dog. After she fed him his kibble she gave him an after dinner goodie. As I look over, I notice that the aforementioned goodie was the same "yogurt" I'd eaten for breakfast days earlier. Turns out I attempted to chow down on a substance that is meant to regulate Samy's digestion. I basically ate dog food.

I should probably spend some more time with my nose in a Spanish/English dictionary so I can avoid lying and consuming dog food.

1 comment: